About the Conference
We are delighted to announce the PETAA 2022 Leading with Literacy Conference: From babble to Batavia and beyond
Join PETAA in our 50th year as we enter a longitudinal journey of literacy: from earliest communication and language development through to preschool, then the formal schooling years of primary education, to 21st century literacy expectations that arise as students progress to high school.
The annual PETAA conference is the only conference dedicated to primary English, language, and literacies.
A child’s first 1000 days shapes their development and wellbeing for life.
This conference will guide teachers through skills and strategies from students’ very first communications to learning to read.
Together, we will examine how students transition through the primary years to expand their skills (reading to learn).
Finally, we’ll chart their journey to the ideal end point: a community of young people who can read, write and communicate at a level that allows them confidently advocate for themselves and for the world around them.
This is a must for every educator- where have your students come from and where are they going? And how can you ensure they arrive at that desired end point?
PETAA's 2022 Conference is your guide along this critical journey. Together, of the course of two days, we will:
- Explore the development of early speech, phonemic awareness, and how students learn to read
- Examine how students transition through the primary years to expand their skills (reading to learn)
- Demonstrate ways that students can become effective readers, writers and communicators
- Discover how to make the learning experience more impactful for every student
- Uncover teaching and learning frameworks that will assist our students to become literate
This conference is designed to make it easy for you to learn. Attend the way that most suits you:
• Live-streamed, online conference (with on-demand attendance available after its conclusion)
• Whole teams, cohorts and school communities can learn and plan together with a whole-school Conference pass that allows you to register up to 25 teachers for the price of just 5
• Attend one of three distinct streams to optimise your conference experience:
• Early learning/Pre-school / Foundation
• Years 1-3 (The first years at school)
• Years 4-6 (Developing skills for life long learning)
We want every teacher to feel they can join us for this urgent professional development conference, so we’re offering a range of Early bird discount options. You can view them all here.
Accreditation and endorsements
The PETAA 2022 Leading with Literacy Conference, From babble to Batavia and beyond: navigating the language and literacy landscape is NESA accredited for 12 hours of professional learning.
(In-person and live-streaming only. NESA endorsement does not apply to on-demand viewing).
The PETAA 2022 Leading with Literacy Conference, From babble to Batavia and beyond: navigating the language and literacy landscape is TQI accredited for 10 hours of professional learning.
PETAA members are also eligible for significantly discounted rates to our Conference and have exclusive access to our whole-school online conference access pass, so we highly recommend that you try a PETAA annual membership. Not only will you be able to enjoy our Conference while being kind to your budget, but you will also receive instant access to hundreds of best practice teacher and classroom resources to further develop and evolve your teaching practice.
If you have any questions about the conference, please don’t hesitate to get in touch! The friendly PETAA team is always happy to chat through your options and your professional development needs; you can reach us on 1300 307 382.