What is this course about?
This course is presented by Emeritus Professor Timothy Shanahan, Distinguished Professor Emeritus at the University of Illinois at Chicago where he was Founding Director of the UIC Centre for Literacy. Previously, he was director of reading for the Chicago Public Schools. He is author/editor of more than 200 publications on literacy education. His research emphasises the connections between reading and writing, literacy in the disciplines, and improvement of reading achievement.
This course unpacks the origins of the term science of reading and explores models of reading and highlights the difference between science of reading and science of reading instruction.
Through completing this course, participants will:
- Understand the origins and development of the term science of reading
- Make qualified decisions around what "evidence" should constitute in a teaching context
- Understand the affordances and constraints of 6 different models of reading
- Identify effective instructional practices
- Identify the 5 essential subskills for reading
- Make informed evidence based decisions to improve learning outcomes
Who should participate?
- Teachers - Years F - 6
- Literacy Coordinators
- School leaders
What else do I need to know?
This is a perfect opportunity for colleagues to work together in a PL session, or independently as part of their professional development practice. This course is self-paced and unmoderated, meaning all participants have access to materials for 365 days from the date they register.
How does it work?
- Individuals: upon registration individuals will be sent a link to access the PL on our online learning platform.
- Group Booking (up to 25 staff): One staff member must register on behalf of their school and will then be required to email us the names, job titles and email addresses of teachers they wish to enrol.
|Cost of participation
|PL Subscription School Member
*Enquire to register a group. Member Schools only.
|Non-Member Group booking*
*Enquire to register a group.
Not a member? Sign up here to access group pricing, discounts and our member resource portal.
Completing this course comprises 2 hours (NSW - Elective PL) of online professional learning addressing standards 1.1.2 and 1.2.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.