This session will be held in Newtown NSW. Not local? Email us to request a session closer to you.
Important: This course draws from material covered in our Teaching Grammar in Context online series. It is recommended that you do not take part in this session if you have completed the online courses (previously titled Grammar 101).
What is this course about?
Are you looking for ways to support your students to identify and use grammar in the classroom? Join Karen Rogers, PETAA Literacy Leader, for a full day course to upskill your understanding of grammar. In this session, Karen will be exploring the power of grammar knowledge to develop capable and confident communicators as well as meeting the requirements of the NSW syllabus.
Participation in this course will enable you to:
- Understand the use of grammar as a resource for making meaning
- Describe the differences between a traditional and a functional approach to grammar and language
- Make links between the NSW syllabus and the teaching of grammar
- Design practical and authentic learning experiences using mentor texts to teach grammar in context
- Identify opportunities and strategies for the explicit teaching of grammar across the curriculum
- Hands-on activities that allow for reflection and collaboration
- Learn actionable strategies to teach grammar in a functional, practical way in your classroom
- Build your own knowledge and confidence to teach grammar for authentic purposes
Who should participate?
- Teachers Years F-6
- School Leaders
- Early-Career and Pre-Service Teachers
- Any teacher looking for practical ways to focus on grammar in the classroom
What else do I need to know? This is a perfect opportunity for you to develop your confidence in teaching and applying grammar in context. Cancellations without transfer of booking to alternative session received less than five working days before the course will incur a $50 cancellation fee per delegate and $25 for half day courses. For the full list of Terms and Conditions, please visit our page here.
Morning tea and lunch will be provided.
Completing this workshop will contribute 5 hours (NSW - Elective PL) of F2F Professional Learning addressing 1.1.2, 1.2.2, 1.5.2, 2.1.2, 2.2.2. 3.2.2, 3.3.2, 4.1.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
| Purchase text here