F2F: Explicit and authentic teaching of writing
Newtown - Face to Face Course
23 February 2024
This course will be held at the PETAA Offices in Newtown, NSW. Not local? Email us to request a course in your area.
What is this course about?
This full day workshop for teachers will build confidence and knowledge to teach writing in an explicit, authentic and engaging way. The day will begin by exploring what we mean when we talk about writing and defining the role of explicit teaching, as well as examining the writing trajectory within the NSW Syllabus and Australian Curriculum. Participants will explore the importance of metalanguage when talking about writing and the way that rich literature can support learning. The day will conclude with practical ideas for tracking student progress and a framework for incorporating explicit teaching within your planning.
Participation in this course will enable you to:
- Describe the skills and knowledge required for effective writing
- Identify the connection between the language, literature and literacy strands of the Australian Curriculum and NSW syllabus and the way they support the teaching of writing
- Identify opportunities within mentor texts when teaching writing – decomposing, recomposing, independent composing
- Identify evidence that can be used to track student progress in writing
- Use the LEAD framework to plan for the explicit teaching of writing
Who should participate?
- F-6 Teachers
- School Leaders
- Curriculum Leaders
What else do I need to know? This is a perfect opportunity for you to develop your confidence in utilising practical and evidence-based ways to support writing in your school context. Cancellations without transfer of booking to alternative session received less than five working days before the course will incur a $50 cancellation fee per delegate and $25 for half day courses. For the full list of Terms and Conditions, please visit our page here.
What do I need to bring?
Attendees are required to bring:
- One sample of student writing from their own classroom context
- One text (a picture book, novel, etc) that they are planning to use for teaching and learning
Morning tea and lunch will be provided.
Completing this workshop will contribute 5 hours (NSW - Elective PL) of F2F Professional Learning addressing 2.5.2 and 3.2.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
Online registration not available.