What is this course about?
Scaffolding Through Model Texts is a course created by Dr Bronwyn Parkin and Dr Helen Harper, based on the strategies outlined in their textbook, Teaching with Intent: Scaffolding academic language with marginalised students.
This course provides an introduction to the use of scaffolding as a tool that supports teachers to plan and teach in a logical and purposeful way with a focus on language. The course guides teachers through the process of writing a model text as part of planning a topic. The model text encapsulates the learning we want students to be able to express, represented in an appropriate text type, with appropriately complex grammar and vocabulary that is aligned with Australian Curriculum requirements. As a result of this course you will have a model text to use in your next unit of work.
Participation in this course will give participants the ability to:
- Understand the theory that underpins the pedagogical approach of scaffolding
- Comprehend how a model text can be a key tool when employing a scaffolding approach in the primary classroom
- Be able to write their own model text that encapsulates the learning they want their students to be able to express, with appropriately complex grammar and vocabulary, and alignment with Australian Curriculum English requirements
Who should participate?
- All teachers years F-6
- Literacy leaders
- Early Career Teachers
What else do I need to know?
This is a perfect opportunity for colleagues to work together in a PL session, or independently as part of their professional development practice. This course is self-paced and unmoderated, meaning all participants have access to materials for 365 days from the date they register.
How does it work?
- Individuals: upon registration individuals will be sent a link to access the PL on our online learning platform.
- Group Bookings (up to 25 staff): One staff member must register on behalf of their school and will then be required to email us the names, job titles and email addresses of teachers they wish to enrol.
|Cost of participation
|PETAA Subscription School Member
*Enquire to register a group. School members only.
|Non-Member Group booking*
*Enquire to register a group.
Not a member? Sign up here to access group pricing, discounts and our member resource portal.
Completing this course will contribute 2 hours of online PL addressing standard descriptors 2.1.2, 2.5.2, 3.2.2 and 3.3.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.