Assessment through language
Bronwyn Parkin & Helen Harper
Available all year
Online unmoderated course
What is this course about?
This course addresses assessment in an integrated way, explaining why complex written tasks are so important for children to accomplish in the process of learning. The course draws on the theory of Bernstein's four quadrants of teaching and learning and provides examples of ways to scaffold assessment tasks so that all students can actively participate through a logical sequence of learning activities. The practical examples provided can be used in your classroom to assess student achievement in the context of scaffolding pedagogy.
Through completing this course, participants will:
- Explain Bernstein's four quadrants and how they apply to assessment
- Understand scaffolding theory and how it applies in the primary classroom, and specifically to assessment.
- Use assessment to extend high performing students.
- Select from a variety of oral assessment formats for your classroom.
- Incorporate both language and content learning goals into your assessment criteria.
- Apply different levels of scaffold to assessments
Who should participate?
- Teachers Years F-6
- Literacy Leaders
- Early career and pre-service teachers
What else do I need to know?
This is a perfect opportunity for colleagues to work together in a PL session, or independently as part of their professional development practice. This course is self-paced and unmoderated, meaning all participants have access to materials for 365 days from the date they register.
How does it work?
- Individuals: upon registration individuals will be sent a link to access the PL on our online learning platform.
- Group Booking (up to 25 staff): One staff member must register on behalf of their school and will then be required to email us the names, job titles and email addresses of teachers they wish to enrol.
|Cost of participation
|PL Subscription School Member
*Enquire to register a group. Member Schools only.
|Non-Member Group booking*
*Enquire to register a group.
Not a member? Sign up here to access group pricing, discounts and our member resource portal.
Completing this course comprises 2 hours (NSW - Elective PL) of online professional learning addressing standards 1.2.2, 3.2.2 and 5.1.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.