What is this course about?
This short course outlines a pedagogical framework for teaching and assessing viewing that draws on best practice literacy pedagogy and the theory of multimodality. The course provides an outline of pedagogical principles of the gradual release of responsibility model, quality talk, explicit teaching and scaffolding and explains how these relate to the teaching learning cycle. Teachers are guided through the process of selecting multimodal texts and planning for reading and viewing.
The assessment framework provides suggestions for formative and summative assessment and uses student work samples to show how teachers gain insight into their students’ reading-viewing practices to help plan future reading-viewing lessons that lead students to be discerning, critical meaning makers.
Through completing this course, participants will:
- Gain an understanding of the pedagogical principles of the gradual release of responsibility model, quality talk, explicit teaching and scaffolding.
- Learn how to select multimodal texts.
- Engage in the process of planning for reading and viewing
- Understand the features of formative and summative assessment.
- Develop skills to assess reading and viewing
Who should participate?
- Beginning Teachers
- Teachers F-6
- Teacher Librarians
What else do I need to know?
This is a perfect opportunity for colleagues to work together in a PL session, or independently as part of their professional development practice. This course is self-paced and unmoderated, meaning all participants have access to materials for 365 days from the date they register.
This course is designed as a companion professional development resource for the PETAA text, The potential of the visual: Teaching literacy with multimodal texts. This text is required reading for this course.
How does it work?
- Individuals: upon registration individuals will be sent a link to access the PL on our online learning platform.
- Group Booking (up to 25 staff): One staff member must register on behalf of their school and will then be required to email us the names, job titles and email addresses of teachers they wish to enrol.
|Cost of participation
|PL Subscription School Membership
*Enquire to register a group. Member Schools only.
|Non-Member Group booking*
*Enquire to register a group.
Not a member? Sign up here to access group pricing, discounts and our member resource portal.
Completing this course comprises 1 hour (NSW - Elective PL) of online professional learning addressing standards 2.5.2 and 3.3.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.