What is this course about?
This is a course for all teachers of High-Ability students.
This course will focus on the importance of grammar instruction in writing and will cover topics such as language choices, text-level choices, the reader-writer relationship, being an author, and the writing process. The course will also address the Australian Curriculum (V9), English, particularly the Language and Literacy strands, but also incorporating elements of close reading of mentor texts from the Literature strand.
Through completing this course, participants will:
- Create effective lessons for teaching writing to high ability primary students
- Support your students to generate and develop ideas for writing projects
- Understand how mentor texts can be used to teach writing to high ability primary students
- Run impactful and engaging group discussions and writers workshops
- Effectively confer with students and provide targeted feedback
- Employ effective strategies for preparing and publishing writing projects
Who should participate?
- Teachers - Years F-6
- Literacy Coordinators
- Teacher Librarians
How does it work?
- Individuals: upon registration individuals will be sent a link to access the PL on our online learning platform.
- Group Booking (up to 25 staff): Staff from schools holding a PETAA School Membership are required to email us the names, job titles and email addresses of teachers they wish to enrol. An invoice will then be provided for payment.
- PL Subscription: Access this course via the PL Subscription homepage. All PL subscription members receive free access to all online unmoderated courses.
- Cancellations without transfer of booking to alternative session received less than five working days before the course will incur a $50 cancellation fee per delegate and $25 for half day courses. For the full list of Terms and Conditions, please visit our page here.
What else do I need to know?
This is a perfect opportunity for colleagues to work together in a PL session, or independently as part of their professional development practice. This course is self-paced and unmoderated, meaning all participants have access to materials for 365 days from the date they register.
|Cost of participation
|PL Subscription School Member
*Enquire to register a group. Member Schools only.
|Non-Member Group booking*
*Enquire to register a group.
Not a member? Sign up here to access group pricing, discounts and our member resource portal.
Completing this course comprises 3 hours (NSW - Elective PL) of online professional learning addressing standards 2.1.2 and 2.5.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
Creative Writing: The link between grammar and imagination
Using metalanguage to talk about writing